Why become a member? ×

Help me understand this lick!

lobematt

Hey there, I'm learning a Red Garland minor 2 5 1 lick I got from freejazzlessons.com but I'm struggling to understand the theory behind it. Here's the lick anyway [attachment=109599:redgarland251.png]

In bar one its just approach tones around the root (G). The last bar is just an F minor arpeggio but its the second bar I can't figure out. Any help with this one? Also if I've got either of the other bars wrong then feel free to correct me!

In my opinion the chord symbol given for the V chord is incorrect- whoever wrote it out means b13, not #5.

The lick in bar 2 is b9 (Db), then an approach into the major 3rd from a semitone below (Eb - E), 5 (G) and then b9 (Db) again.

Tom

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1338990896' post='1682044']
In my opinion the chord symbol given for the V chord is incorrect- whoever wrote it out means b13, not #5.

[/quote]

Actually I think the chord symbol is correct but the on ledger lines they've mistakenly used the enharmonic spelling of Ab rather than G# - there is no other 5th present so it is certainly going to sound like an augmented chord.

As I see it the lick in bar 2 is based on a Db diminished triad (i.e. starting on the b9 of the C7+5 chord - playing diminished over dominant chords a half step above the root is a very common device as I'm sure you're aware).

• 2 weeks later...