Why become a member? ×

Lakland XX 94 deluxe maple top thickness?

Wal

Does anyone know the thickness of the quilted maple top on the Lakland XX 94 deluxe
As apposed to the apparently 'veneered' Skyline 44 02[b]?[/b]
Here is a shot of the neck pocket on my '99 4 94 Deluxe:

Isn't that a 'veneer? (note: The vertical line on the right is just paint)
This top is much thinner than the contour depth on the top.. Therefore it must must be veneered?
Cheers,
Wal...

Edited by Wal

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1337892133' post='1667156']
Veneers tend to be around 0.5mm.
I'd call that a 'top' or 'facia'
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply Roland Rock..
I would define a veneer as something that is glued to a profile as apposed to a solid top with a profile?
Cheers,
Wal...

[quote name='Wal' timestamp='1337892603' post='1667162']
Thanks for the reply Roland Rock..
I would define a veneer as something that is glued to a profile as apposed to a solid top with a profile?
Cheers,
Wal...
[/quote]

Hi,
I don't quite get what you mean by 'the contour depth on top', or the reference that it's 'glued to a profile'. To me it looks like a thin top wood glued (laminated) onto the body wood, then the lot is profiled and finished.
As far as definitions go, I suppose a veneer is a thin (no actual definition of what "thin" is) sheet of wood glued to a thicker inferior one, so technically you could be right. To those who work in the woodworking industry (like me), a veneer is approx 0.5mm*, and anything much thicker than that is a facia.

Hope this helps

*The 0.5/0.6mm has been standard veneer thickness since the 60's. Victorian veneer is several mm thick as it was often cut by hand.

Edited by Roland Rock

Hi again Roland Rock,
As I said in my post, the contour in the body (the bit that your wrist sits on ) is much deeper than the 'top' therefore the body must be shaped before the top is fitted, and then the 'top' must be steam bent and glued into position.. Otherwise the contour depth would run out of quilted maple top.. Which it doesn't.. At least on mine! And therefore I would consider this to be veneered or laminated.. As opposed to a Les Paul for example or even a hand built guitar or bass build with a slab of quilted maple on the top..
Thanks,,
Wal...

Sorry, I was unaware that the quilted effect ran right down the side beyond the depth of the top. I now see your point, thanks for the clarification.
In that case, either just the sides are veneered, or the whole thing is veneered, but why one would veneer over the top wood is beyond me. Can you see a join in the quilted maple at roughly the same depth as the top wood/body wood join?