Why become a member? ×

Weird other unfretted notes sounding on a JB

I thought my technique was shocking this evening when I was playing notes on the 2nd and 7th frets that were sounding open notes on the other strings that weren't muted. When I muted the notes, all was good. I then experimented, for shits and giggles, and plucked the A on the G string, making sure to NOT strike the open D, and to my shock, it resonated anyway!

This happened on all bottom three notes on the 2nd fret and on the 7th too. I haven't done anymore experiments yet.

Ok I can mute the other strings, but when you're certain you're NOT striking the other string, it shouldn't sound when playing an adjacent one right?!

To my knowledge the Mex Jazz Bass is in good set-up. I've had it since new more or less (bought from a chap that sold it after 3 weeks).

Edited by DanPMiller

The undamped strings are just resonating in sympathy with the plucked string which is all quite normal. Second fret on the G is an A which is a strong harmonic on the D string. Seventh fret on the G is a D so a direct sympathetic vibration. Same applies to the other strings. There will be loads of sympathetic resonances all over the neck if you don't mute the unplayed strings All sounds as it should be to me.

Edited by ikay