Why become a member? ×

Tanglewood Canyon - Anybody played one

thewalruswaspaul

A friend of mine has got a 6 string Hudson PBS, which is a Cranes Music Store copy of the Tanglewood. To be honest it looks exactly like the Tanglewood in every sense apart from the markings. Apparently it's a guy who works at Cranes who has a contact a the factory where the Tanglewood's and Carvin's are made and it looks like they are just rebadged with the Hudson name and markings. It might be they are kind of slight TW 2nd's that haven't made the TW grade and they have been sold to Cranes and rebadged??
Check out the Hudson here [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HUDSON-PBS-4-NOP-4-STRING-BASS-SPALT-MAPLE-NEW_W0QQitemZ250236819078QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Hudson PBS Bass[/url] For the money on either the TW or Hudson you can't go wrong really, it sounds nice, lots of bottom end and it can pack a punch. The neck is nice to play. The only thing that he has said about it and I would imagine the TW will be the same, is when you are playing sitting down you need to wear a strap with it because it is unbalanced and is very neck heavy, well his 6er is maybe the 4 might not be so!??! This is because the body around the lower horn curve hasn't got much in terms of dimensions and is quite squat. Other than that it's beautiful piece of wood. The Hudosn is a real looker, and if you're lucky you might be able to pick one up from the link above and save yourself 60 squids! There is also a 6er on Fleabay check it out here [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HUDSON-PBS-6-NOP-6-STRING-BASS-SPALT-BASS_W0QQitemZ120246074381QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Hudson 6er[/url]
I suppose it all depends on whether you want to have a punt on the Hudson and go for the un-named TW that is a bit more subtle in colour, or go for the brightly coloured named bass? :)

i have a tanglewood canyon 1, its a great bass for the money.
great to play, great sound, suits all styles, especially slap.

agree with above post about sitting down and wearing strap as to the shape of the bass.
have not played a 6er but the neck on the 4 string is [b]definitely NOT neck heavy[/b]

my old bass teacher had one. TBH £300 sounds about right, i don't know how much they normally cost, but for what its worth, its not a bargain and i wouldn't pay much more, either. its a pretty average bass, there are better out there if im honest, but there are much worse out there, too. you'd be safe going for one, if you fancied getting one. for what its worth, you might find one cheaper, i dont know.

I'm not sure if you can say "copies" :) From what I am lead to believe they, (Tanglewoods, Carvin's and Hudson's and I think one other make) are all made at the same factory. So to an extent they are all copuies of one another. But looking at the TW and the Hudsons they are almost indentical. Carvin's do have different look to them.

Cort licensed the design from Greg Curbow (who passed away a couple years ago). Cort originally built the Curbow basses for Tanglewood, who took (stole?) the design with them when they split from Cort a while back.
A Tanglewood rep confirmed to me that their basses and the Hudsons are 'one and the same'.
A Cort rep simply looked bemused :)