Why become a member? ×

New Ibanez SR700 Clacking post set-up

flunkie

Having a bit of a problem with my new Ibanez SR700. I have had it set up at a reputable local shop. The action is low and I'm not getting bad fret buzz or anything. However, when I fret a note above the 12th fret, the string hits the fret and makes a clacking noise (I don't have to pluck the string for this to happen). I have been playing bass for years and have never had this before. It is not the note sounding (a la a hammer-on) but a metallic clacking coming from the fret where I am trying to finger the note, as soon as the string makes contact. The bass has elixir strings, which came with it, although I am not sure what gauge. Can anyone help me with this? I need a low action for slap and am really frustrated because I just want to enjoy my new bass :( <sulks>

Sometimes after adjusting the neck it will take a couple of days to setle in. If you take it back he'll just give the truss rod a quick tweak and you'll be good to go. It'll take less than a minute. Alternatively you could do it yourself but best to take it back if its not too far

Great, thanks. Excuse my ignorance (I've never had set-up problems before), but what is it with the neck adjustment that causes the noise? What confuses me is that the noise comes from the fret I am pressing on. I could understand it being caused by a low action if the strings were catching the frets further up the neck. :)

Edited by flunkie