Why become a member? ×

MXR M288 bass octave deluxe battery life

CliveT

When using my MXR BOD I like to engage the MID boost button. This means that when the pedal is in-line but I'm not using the octave effect the MID indicator LED is always on regardless when the input jack is plugged in. How much of a drain will that be on the battery? I don't use many effects so find it easier to use batteries.

[size=5][sup]I've noticed the same thing with mine, I'm sure it will drian the battery a bit more but I can't say by how much. I was using batteries in my effects as well since I only have 3 pedals at the moment but I'm sick of changing batteries and have just ordered a daisy chained power supply off ebay (the last straw came when I forgot to unplug the jack leads from my MXR288 the other night only to find the battery completely dead the next day).[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]The power supply definately makes sense economically when you look at the price (mine was ~£11) compared with battery changes. Plus there's nothing more annoying than being stuck without a tuner or effect because the battery has run out.[/sup][/size]

I have my mid switch on all the time. It normally lives in a powered pedalboard, but I do remove it quite often so use for just one song in my set list for one of the bands I play for. Really no point taking the entire pedalboard to the gig.

Anyway, I have found the battery life to be pretty good. The pedal is plugged in for about 4hrs each evening and I think I change it after about 4-5 gigs. Even though that LED is quite bright I wouldn't imagine it doesn't actually need much power. It's much smaller than the activation LED above the foot switch which can be seen from space when it's on.

[quote name='JetKing' timestamp='1334319470' post='1614410']
[size=5][sup]I've noticed the same thing with mine, I'm sure it will drian the battery a bit more but I can't say by how much. I was using batteries in my effects as well since I only have 3 pedals at the moment but I'm sick of changing batteries and have just ordered a daisy chained power supply off ebay (the last straw came when I forgot to unplug the jack leads from my MXR288 the other night only to find the battery completely dead the next day).[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]The power supply definately makes sense economically when you look at the price (mine was ~£11) compared with battery changes. Plus there's nothing more annoying than being stuck without a tuner or effect because the battery has run out.[/sup][/size]
[/quote]

Out of interest which PSU did you get? I tried a cheap one once from ebay once and it the pedal hummed when I plugged it in.

[quote name='CliveT' timestamp='1334590653' post='1618126']
Out of interest which PSU did you get? I tried a cheap one once from ebay once and it the pedal hummed when I plugged it in.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9V-GUITAR-EFFECT-PEDAL-POWER-SUPPLY-5-WAY-DAISY-CHAIN-/150569460382?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item230ea3a29e"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9V-GUITAR-EFFECT-PEDAL-POWER-SUPPLY-5-WAY-DAISY-CHAIN-/150569460382?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item230ea3a29e[/url]

It was this one. Though I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for it.