Why become a member? ×

Just a quick one...

REDLAWMAN

I've noticed whilst learning my fretboard (again) that the notes always follow a circular pattern:-

B E A D G C F A# D# G# C# F# (B )

On any given fret, if you take any block of four successive notes, they always follow that pattern across the E A D G strings.

I know this relates to/is the Circle of 5th.

Can someone put a bit more 'meat-on-the-bones' as if were, for me, please?

At present, I can see it as a convenient way (once memorised) to learn/know all four notes across the strings on a given fret, but that's it, really and I appreciate that it doesn't include the number of sharps/flats (as per the circle), nor does it refer to the notes as their 'flat names' as the circle appears to.

Many thanks.

Edited by REDLAWMAN

The bass is tuned in fourths (going up) and fifths (going down). As the cycle of fifths is at the core of a lot of theory, its a bit of a gift, really. Makes everything accessible with minimal movement.

I think you are over complicating the issue. Learning the notes on the neck is one days work, if you apply yourself. If you know the full sequence of available notes i.e. C Csharp D D sharp E F etc, its all laid out in front of you. YOur list is in fourths, mine is chromatic but the notes on the neck aren't going anywhere. Third fret, A string is always C....