Why become a member? ×

Funny feedback sound coming from my bass

chrisdaman

i've just got a "mike dirnt" p-bass with [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Kent Armstrong P pickup and[/font][/color] Wilkinson Tuners, and i've noticed a feedback kind of sound from the guitar thats constantly there, and gets louder when the amp is turned up, i've tried all my cables and it's the same no matter what.

The only thing that makes the sound go away is when i touch the volume or tone dials, or the metal plate around them, it sounds like i'm earthing the guitar when i touch it though.

any idea what this could be?

It's 2nd hand, and something may have been knocked whilst in transit?

Cheers
Chris

[quote name='ratking' timestamp='1331824286' post='1579503']
Sounds like a typical grounding problem ... Is there a loose cable in your control cavity? Could be the electronic's grounding cable that's come loose. Could also be a bad soldering joint, might need resoldering ...
[/quote]

+1

It's almost certainly going to be something related to an earth connection.

Fortunately a PB is about as simple as it gets when it comes to electrics so lets have a go and see of we can fix it 'remotely' :)

First thing you'll need to do is undo the screws holding the scratchpate in place, taking the strings off first would make things easier but you should be able to slide the scratchplate out if you just slacken them off.

On the back of the scratchplate you'll find two pots and a jack socket.
Make sure that all the wires are attached and that the soldering is shiny and neat.

From one of the pots (usually the Volume control) you'll see a wire going off back into the bass body.
It actually goes through a small hole in the wood and appears underneath the bridge - that's what earths the parts you are normally touching (strings).
Undo the bridge screws (DEFINATELY slacken the strings off first!) and look underneath.
As far as electrical connections go it's pretty pathetic - usually just a bare piece of wire coiled up.
Make sure the wire isn't tarnished, position it slightly differently (so a fresh piece of bass body is going to push it against the bridge when you replace the screws).
Look underneath the bridge and, again, make sure it's not tarnished.
Relocate the bridge and replace the screws.

If that lot looks OK then we'll need a 'plan B'.
Not too sure what 'plan B' is yet but we'll worry about that if and when we get there. :)

HTH