Why become a member? ×

MusicMan Sabre 1986

johnebassman

Hi All,

I am offering for sale an early-ish Ernie Ball era Sabre bass.

Serial Number is: 25007. Neck is dated Feb 25 1986, body is Oct 20 1986. I think EB mades Sabres from sometime in '95.

It has a "Strat style" 5 way pickup selector which I actually prefer to the older Sabres (I've owned both). It gives some very usable more Fender-y options to the more "gnarly" MusicMan tones.

If you think of the 2 humbucking pickups as 4 separate coils (Bridge 1/2... Neck 3/4...all combinations wired in parallel) it gives these combinations.

1: Coil 3 (neck pickup as a single coil - quite Precision like).
2: Coils 1,2,3 (bridge humbucker with added neck single coil).
3: Coils 1,2 (bridge humbucker - very StingRay like).
4: Coils 1,2,3,4 (both humbuckers together).
5: Coils 3,4 (Neck humbucker).

It's in a rather nice translucent cherry red finish with a black pearloid scratchplate, all original as far as I know.

Fair condition, but as you would expect for a bass of this age, plenty of dings and a bit of belt buckle rash. The neck varnish is aged and dark, with many cracks in it. Ive tried to show all this in the various photos.

I don't have a hard case, but will include a decent gig bag. I have puts strap lock on but still have the original strap buttons which I will dig out.

2 band EQ, as per older MM basses - crank everything up and it becomes a slap funk monster. Back the treble off and it can give more midrange-y finger style tones - but still with a MusicMan edge.

For what its worth, I bought this bass at the gallery In Camden, and none other than Pino Palladino was there that day, so I asked him for his opinion on it - he said it was a good bass - so its "Pino approved"!. he also advised me not to turn up the EQ to full on MusicMan basses - but as I alluded to earlier, it really depends on your stye of playing - if you want to sound like Flea or Louis Johnston, this baby will do it .

I'm in East London - and very happy for people to come and try it out if you can.

I'm looking for £1000. Shipping at cost to buyer.

Any questions please ask.

Regards,

John

[attachment=97714:DSC_2521.jpg][attachment=97715:DSC_2522.jpg][attachment=97716:DSC_2523.jpg][attachment=97717:DSC_2524.jpg][attachment=97719:DSC_2526.jpg][attachment=97720:DSC_2533.jpg][attachment=97721:DSC_2537.jpg][attachment=97722:DSC_2538.jpg][attachment=97723:DSC_2539.jpg][attachment=97724:DSC_2542.jpg]