Why become a member? ×

High noise levels in Eden Metro

Houtoe

Afternoon All,
Have had a ongoing problem with an Eden Metro (I think, not even sure if its an issue or if im making one up)
It has what seems to me a high noise level when powered on (not that high but high enough to be noticeable when first turned on and if Nothing else is on in the room while NOT playing)
I had it repaired from a dead tube at Stevesamps and when it came back I thought it had a high level of noise, questioned this with steve and he gave me the impression it was a normal level of noise so I left it (and being effectively still a student unable to afford to put another £50-100 on top of the bill)
Now its starting to get on my nerves as I am looking to move the amp on and obiously dont want people to waste journeys if its a higher noise level (being first large amp unsure what noise level is acceptable what power ect)
Before I take it back to Steve again to have him looking at it is there anything people here can suggest?
its had replacement tube and a few components during the service where it went in with a dead channel and came out with the noise

Idiots checklist please if anyone has one!
any help welcome
Cheers
Chris

Is it noise, or mains hum? Eden amps are known from hum.
You forgot to mention what settings you use. Does the problem applies to both channels? At any settings of gain pots? At any settings of the master level control? How do you set the Enhance control? How do you set parametric equalizer? Did you read the manual (Setting the pre-amp to flat)? Is the amp properly earthed?
I think that without providing such info there is no chance that someone can help you (unless you contact Eden service directly).

Mark

That makes a lot more sense,
The noise is present on both channels, Sounds to me like mains Hum (low level) with some noise when you crank it up (but it wasnt there before a service, present with many different IEC leads),
with the gain set between 10-1 ie how the manual recommends its not a massive amount of noise even at sorta 50% volume.
the noise is EQ'able (as you would expect). as you sweep the enhance control it brings out different parts of the noise (as it is a type of EQ), by the time you get to 25-30% of the main volume up the noise is almost unnoticeable. I can record some sound examples this evening if it would help.
just dont want to have to send out the amp if it turns out its a common feature for the amps!
Cheers
Chris

Sound example may help - previously you mentioned noise but it appears that this is mains hum. Question about instrument being plugged in also deserves an answer.
Mains hum is a common "feature" of Eden amps but it can be greatly minimized. I would call Steve and ask whether he knows what to do about it.

Mark

Houtoe,
This one sounds familiar. As with so many other amps, the Metro, albeit a very nicely designed amp, suffers from mains hum / noise due to a minor lead dress issue. It's a while since I worked on one of these amps but as I recall, the signal lead serving the line out socket on the rear panel passes fairly close to the torroidal power transformer. The noise is caused by induction.

If Steve has made some component changes it's likely that he's had to temporarily release the circuit board and has accidentallly disturbed this cable and it's now a bit closer to the transformer than before. It's easily done because the layout is far from ideal in this part of the amp so it's no reflection on Steve's engineering prowess. It's more of a small design error. Equally, it's no big deal to put right. Ten minutes or so to fix it once the offending cable has been identified. Nevertheless I would strongly advise against trying to sort it out yourself. Drop it back to Steve and ask him to have a look. The Metro will usually run very quietly by attending to this minor issue.

I hope this is of some help to you.

i guess its down to how you define accepable noise!, it doesnt annoy me in the slightest at home, its more an issue when trying to sell, do you advertise it as having an issue or is it normal :)
not enjoying the lack of portability offered by the eden so looking to move it on! :(
Cheers
Chris