Why become a member? ×

MM style pickup with 3 way switch

GCYPbass

Hi Everybody,

I am trying to find out how MM style and 3 way switches works exactly. I have very limited knowledge as I only know that it allows you to switch from single coil to humbucker (series/parallel). I check the wiring diagram on the warwick website but I am even more confuse know :unsure:

here is the diagram I found: [attachment=95799:26066591d01.pdf]

How comes here the switch for neck pickup has to do something with the bridge pickup? It says that the bridge pickup is at serial mode (C+D) when the neck pickup switch is at the lower position :huh:
Is the wiring diagram just wrong or I am not clever enough to understand? :)

Can you also please explain what are the differences between series and parallel modes? How does it work theoratically?

Thanks to you all in advance.

G

Edited by guven_caglar

Thanks a lot Mark. That's one of the things I was looking for and its bookmarked already :)
In this sense, coils (in one humbacker pickup) are wired each other in both series and parallel style, and hence the switch allows you to choose between (series/parallel). Did I understand correctly?

I know that the diagram from Warwick website is for two pickups (for double buck basses) but still confused. I assume that each humbucker pickup has its own 3 way switch. But when you look at carefully it shows that the neck switch has something to do with bridge pickup.

p.s. I put a little red arrow so it is easily spotable.

G

No, coils in humbacker pickup are independent from each other. They are not connected in series, nor in parallel. It's the switch that causes that they can be connected in different ways. Without the switch you could use both coils as two separate coils.
The diagram from Warwick is very poor because the remark that confuses you is just a mistake. They copied the remarks from the bridge pickup to the neck pickup and forgot to change "serial C+D" to "serial A+B" - it should be "serial A+B". Does it make you less confused? You've just found a mistake on their diagram - you may inform them about it.
Each switch applies to one pickup only. It switches between series, single coil and parallel. Please note that the switch required in this case is a special 3-position switch - it may be called ON-ON-ON.

Mark