Why become a member? ×

boss 10b vs Line6 HD500

FrederikVanDuuren

hi bros,

i know most bass players are using a Boss 10B pedal...

i am searching for a multi pedal system... still in between the Boss 10B and the Line6 HD500

are you familiar with the 10B or HD500 pedals?
used it before? or some bass friends who use it?

it seems Line6 is more pro, but 10B seems more user friendly...
not an easy choice ;)

fred

Hi Fred - I've got the Boss 10B. Strong points are:

Quick and easy editing of existing patches, and it is relatively easy to move patches around within banks and between banks to get logical groupings.
A lot of flexibility when you go beyond the easy patch editing. It's still not difficult, but there is a lot of choice so it helps to know what you are aiming for.
There are very few sound modules that don't work well immediately without a lot a of coaxing.
Good sound quality. I don't feel the life is getting sucked out of my basic sound.

The weak points are:
The synth module does take some coaxing even to get a half decent sound. It can be done, but you have to adapt your playing to get things to work.
It can take some time to get a good distortion/overdrive sound. Once you've got it though it is very good and doesn't affect the bass end it you get the right settings.
The expression pedal doesn't quite appear linear in it's operation - even after calibration. I've adapted to this.
A few completely useless patches included.

I've taken the time and trouble to get a good basic sound first using the compressor with a tiny bit of chorus, and then use this as a template for adding other effects to create my patches. So after getting the basic sound, I duplicated a it a number of times and then added a sub octave for one effect, a T-Wah for another etc. This gives a consistent underlying sound to all the patches I've created.

Overall I'm very happy with the unit and I'm still exploring it's depths even after two years.