Why become a member? ×

The Lemon Song

JPS

I'm trying to get to grips with the Lemon Song as I've always loved JPJ's playing on this, especially the little fills and subtle variations, however, I'm struggling a bit to be honest and would appreciate any tips on how to approach learning it.

I've got a transcription which runs to 12 pages which I can read easily enough, however, I obviously can't play and turn the pages. I've thought about trying to memorise but am not sure my ageing brain is up to the task. I never tried to learn such a long piece of sheet music before so would greatly appreciate any suggestions or tips on how to break it down, organise it etc.

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

JPS

its been on and off in our set for a couple of years now and to be honest it changes (for me!) every outing. Obviously theres the "crux" of it (E,A,B, walking basslines) that is kinda written in stone and if you can learn the turnaround as accurately as poss that would be good, but the "funky" solo type thing ie.."squeezing of ehrrmm,,lemons" is sort of just crying out for interpretation. Im sure JPJ would have played it differently every night!