Why become a member? ×

Solved. Can remove.

Gez

Might be the voice coils in the speakers themselves that have failed. Take the grille off, and gently push each speaker cone in by hand. they should move really smoothly, with no noise. If one, or more feels a bit gritty, and makes scraping noises as the cone moves in and out, they will need replacing- this was what I had to do with an old Trace Elliot 2X15 I had that started to sound a bit farty. New speaker sorted it.

As for smell?????? Only thing I can think of is that cab may have been over powered, and the speakers/ wiring/ horn have fried, and working the cab hard is causing the failed component to overheat. Would definately stop using the cab until you have got to the bottom of it.

As for the HF horn, and dial, might be worth getting a multimeter and checking them for resistance/ open circuit.

'Bout all I can think of anyway :)

Edit- might be worth checking simple stuff first, like condition of your leads, etc, or loose wiring inside the cab

Edited by retroman

[sup]The light will only light up IF you're overpowering the horn AFAIK. & (IIRC) it's there to protect the horn.[/sup]
[sup] That cab is tuned very low, great for drop tuning etc. but not SO great for lotsa volume. I had one myself & I could EASILY get it to 'fart out' - admittedly I was using one of the most gutsy amps- a Fender 300PRO. But when I got my Bergantino NV610 the whole band noticed the HUGE difference in clarity & its ability to handle WAY more volume. [/sup]
[sup]Still, it IS a 410 & it should handle a fair bit of volume. Depending on how loud your guitarist/s are playing, it ain';t surprising thjat a single 410 won't keep up with 100w Tube MArshalls into 4x12" cabs- they DO go stupid loud.[/sup]

[sup] PPL with FAR more knowledge than myself will know & help you more, but, IME, the low tuning of that cab hindered it's ability to go as loud as other 410's that ain't tuned as low. - as I say, I MAY be totally off track here, but
MY experience of that cab was such.[/sup]