Why become a member? ×

CONVERTING A GOLIATH 6X10 4.OHM DOWN TO A 4X10

owen3371

Hi all
This may sound really stupid but i have a swr 6x10 gathering dust (been trying to sell it for ages ),but im trying to downsize i really like the sound of the swr speakers so i thought id cut it down to 4x10 and remaining two speakers i have a 2x10 cab for them? Is it possible?

Economically you'd be better off finding someone selling a Goliath and someone else wanting to buy a Goliath Sr (though that alone appears to be a sticking point...) but logistically that may be challenging! Your plan is certainly possible but the ports would need lengthening and the impedance may go sub 4 ohms depending on how it's currently wired, so it's not entirely simple. If you're curious, open it up and see if the drivers have an impedance stated on them and/or check whether it's wired all parallel or series/parallel (mostly likely) and if the latter whether it's (3 in series) all in parallel, (3 in parallel) all in series, (2 in parallel) all in series, or (2 in series) all in parallel.