Why become a member? ×

The Earth moved for me last night...

David Nimrod

Down at the rehearsal studios last night, using an Ampeg head with two huge home made ported 1 x 18" cabs...

I was playing my naturally lively sounding EMG powered Ibanez Doug Wimbish signature on the Precision pickup.

All I can say is 'Wow!' those 18" cabs certainly shift some serious low frequencies... it was wonderful, bass sound.

Interestingly the Ampeg 450 was cranked up full, to power these cabs, obviously they need a lot of watts to run...

It's got me thinking :) If you were going for a Head + 2 18" cabs, what would you choose (just for the fun of it!).

[quote name='Bernmeister' post='161438' date='Mar 21 2008, 02:38 PM']Oh blimey!
2 x Swr Big Bens the single 1x18 cabs & the new Swr Sm1500 amp,
that would certainly cause some serious bowel movement.[/quote]

That setup would be just unbelievable :)

Infact the amp. looks amazing anyway...

Luckily for the buildings 'round here; I'm skint!

We had an earthquake a while ago, we don't need another...

in 2006 I recorded with a band at Toerag studios, and used their Selmer treble & bass valve head into a Selmer David 1X18 cab - very thick, traditional tone, no high mids.
not really the tone I'd choose myself, but it fitted the whole retro signature sound of that studio.
2 songs from those sessions- "Oxygen" and "Equilibrium" are on my myspace (I played fingerstyle on my warmoth parts p-bass)

Edited by SJA

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='161399' date='Mar 21 2008, 01:13 PM']Down at the rehearsal studios last night, using an Ampeg head with two huge home made ported 1 x 18" cabs...

I was playing my naturally lively sounding EMG powered Ibanez Doug Wimbish signature on the Precision pickup.

All I can say is 'Wow!' those 18" cabs certainly shift some serious low frequencies... it was wonderful, bass sound.

Interestingly the Ampeg 450 was cranked up full, to power these cabs, obviously they need a lot of watts to run...

It's got me thinking :) If you were going for a Head + 2 18" cabs, what would you choose (just for the fun of it!).[/quote]

i've seen that rig. bonkers, thought they were 18s as well, but was playing guitar that night so didn't take a proper look.