Why become a member? ×

East Pre question

JMT3781

Any advice out there for this?

i had an east custom pre for my shuker jazz last christmas, put it in the bass, no problems. seemed ok at the time. Had a another bass shortly after which i have gigged non stop since. Just got into playing the jazz again, as needed a different sound for some stuff i was doing. The preamp sounds amazing, mega powerful and tons of sounds. But now there is a non stop buzzing in certain set ups...

the config is:

3 stacked pots -

blend/volume
bass/treble
mid cut boost/freq

then a pull pot -
master tone/pull passive

The problems seem to centre around the pull pot
when the bass is in passive mode its completely silent with the master one all the way down, as you bring up the master tone the buzz gets steadily louder.
in active mode, the same really, accept the buzz is so loud theres no way i could gig with it.

with the master tone knob all the way up, if you bring the treble control down the buzz goes away. This isn't true of the bass in passive mode though, the buzz remains.

and finally, touching the knobs reduces the buzz, sometimes slightly, and sometimes all together.

I know this all sounds like grounding issues, and believe me i have hunted low and high for a problem with the Ameter, but cant find anything. i've run extra grounds to the body shielding from the two troublesome pots to know avail. Unfortunately because of the way the pots come (all special and connected with that lovely multiwire papery stuff (no idea what its called) i cant test it with other pots... and its driving me mad cuz if you ignore the buzz the bass sounds class!!!

anyone got any ideas? could i need a replacement pot of some sort?

Edited by JMT3781

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1369517' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:13 PM']Any advice out there for this?

i had an east custom pre for my shuker jazz last christmas, put it in the bass, no problems. seemed ok at the time. Had a another bass shortly after which i have gigged non stop since. Just got into playing the jazz again, as needed a different sound for some stuff i was doing. The preamp sounds amazing, mega powerful and tons of sounds. But now there is a non stop buzzing in certain set ups...

the config is:

3 stacked pots -

blend/volume
bass/treble
mid cut boost/freq

then a pull pot -
master tone/pull passive

The problems seem to centre around the pull pot
when the bass is in passive mode its completely silent with the master one all the way down, as you bring up the master tone the buzz gets steadily louder.
in active mode, the same really, accept the buzz is so loud theres no way i could gig with it.

with the master tone knob all the way up, if you bring the treble control down the buzz goes away. This isn't true of the bass in passive mode though, the buzz remains.

and finally, touching the knobs reduces the buzz, sometimes slightly, and sometimes all together.

I know this all sounds like grounding issues, and believe me i have hunted low and high for a problem with the Ameter, but cant find anything. i've run extra grounds to the body shielding from the two troublesome pots to know avail. Unfortunately because of the way the pots come (all special and connected with that lovely multiwire papery stuff (no idea what its called) i cant test it with other pots... and its driving me mad cuz if you ignore the buzz the bass sounds class!!!

anyone got any ideas? could i need a replacement pot of some sort?[/quote]

There is a simple fix for this which John can provide in the form of small springs that fit between the upper and lower knobs to complete continuity and stop the buzzing. john will help you with this don't worry, its a known issue.
tap up John he's extremely helpful

[quote name='supabock' post='1369553' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:41 PM']There is a simple fix for this which John can provide in the form of small springs that fit between the upper and lower knobs to complete continuity and stop the buzzing. john will help you with this don't worry, its a known issue.
tap up John he's extremely helpful[/quote]

i did email him, he asked about the pickups and the shielding, maybe my explanation wasn't as good in the email...

thanks for the info though bro

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1369549' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:37 PM']Have you asked the most important person first? i.e. you really should get in touch with John before putting it up here imo :)

You'll find him in the affiliates section.

Peter[/quote]

i have, was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, not knocking the product at all, its great, i was more worried about my install abilities lol

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1369560' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:47 PM']i have, was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem, not knocking the product at all, its great, i was more worried about my install abilities lol[/quote]

I'm glad you contacted him 1st and sorry if I seemed abrupt. That spring is important btw.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1369571' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:55 PM']I'm glad you contacted him 1st and sorry if I seemed abrupt. That spring is important btw.

Peter[/quote]

does it go in one of the stacked knobs, or on the master tone? if so i've already got that spring i think...

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1369578' date='Sep 11 2011, 04:57 PM']does it go in one of the stacked knobs, or on the master tone? if so i've already got that spring i think...[/quote]

From memory, it goes under a stacked pot. The instructions are online and give details. I understand that it grounds the pot.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='1369583' date='Sep 11 2011, 05:02 PM']From memory, it goes under a stacked pot. The instructions are online and give details. I understand that it grounds the pot.

Peter[/quote]

Put the springs under all stack pots and that will do the job but make sure you put them the right way up, widest part of the spring at the top bit like an upside down pyramid if you get my drift.

[quote name='supabock' post='1369621' date='Sep 11 2011, 05:54 PM']Put the springs under all stack pots and that will do the job but make sure you put them the right way up, widest part of the spring at the top bit like an upside down pyramid if you get my drift.[/quote]

ok cool, so now i know i need three springs, as only one came in the pack... i did get it nearly a year ago, so the bug mustve have been sorted since then, and passed me by. Tah everyone!