Why become a member? ×

For Sale - Ampeg PB800

BenTunnicliffe

Hi guys,

Here's a bit of an odd one and is in fact part of my rig made entirely of discontinued products.

[u]Basically[/u]
N.Wales
Heavily Used (Line out gone iffy, SELF-rackmounted)
US Voltage (transformer included)
6U Rack case included
£350

I bought this around 2007 (I'll find the shipping docs asap) on the bay as I wanted a powerful, small bass head and liked the sound of these.

I can remember the portabass range being one of the first lines of compact bass gear I saw around and this was their crown head the PB800 (PB-800) shelling out 800watts @ 2ohms or 550 @ 4ohms.

The ampeg owners manual is here
[url="http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/PB800.pdf"]http://www.ampeg.com/pdf/PB800.pdf[/url]

The amp turned up from the states in its soft case which I'm not going to lie did eventually falla part due to the PB800 having fairly square corners which eventually messed up the inside of the gigbag; pretty silly design oversight in my view.

What I did do however is rackmount the amp eventually which was for approx the last 2 years of its use although I did the job myself which is incredibly sturdy but did involve taking up some new holes in the amp casing.

The case is SKB 6U I think with the Ampeg taking up 2U.

Due to the amp being from the states I have a step-down transformer from Maplins to plug the US lead into which then has the amp working exactly as an UK amp should and I'll include that with the sale.

Somehow the line outs, both DI and jack aren't fully working right now but I'll pop it into the shop and see what my tech says although for now I'll take that into consideration.

It's a 2 channel amp with high and low inputs on each and seperate EQ on each which then bounce to a master out and take the same XLR or Jack line outs as opposed to seperate outs or volumes for each.

I can't find any evidence of anyone else using one of these in the UK or at least not popping onto basschat and with how well used it is I understand it might be a bit of a question makr right now although I can vouch that I've used it for every gig I've done since I got it and it's never died and has consistently sounded brilliant.

It's got plenty of that Ampeg punch and the EQ works great with punchable Deep/High buttons to add a bit on top and bottom and I've always had good responses to the tone from the rig.

RRP on the amp was originally $1499 from Ampeg themselves, $995.95 from ZZSounds in the states and then by now it's heavily used, in a foreign country and discontinued so i'm thinking £350

Money is going towards relocating and getting a tiny combo for the tube so if anyone has a 1x12" really nice light combo and would happily wait for my Berg cab to shift then I could do the PB800 and the difference in cash from the berg as I'd hate to be amp-less.

Sorry for another rant.

Cheers,

Ben.

• 2 weeks later...