Why become a member? ×

3/4 German flatback for sale

filey44

Hi,

I have an old (Circa 1875) German 3/4 flatback double bass for sale. It has just undergone full restoration including new bass bar, tailpiece, end pin, bridge, soundpost, fingerboard re-shoot, new strings, repairing of all cracks etc. Looks and sounds fantastic and would make a fantastic workhorse bass for jazz or classical playing. The luthier (Colin Cross, Buxton violin shop) has guaranteed all of the work for two years which is a massive bonus I think. He valued the bass in its current condition at around £5500 but I'd be happy to sell for £4750 as I need the cash for a studio conversion. The string length is 42".

I played the bass for years without realising that quite a lot of work needed doing (naive I know but I was young!). It was only when it started making horrible buzzing noises that I got it looked at and found out that there were a number of open cracks etc and and all the hardware (which was original) needed replacing. I was then forced to buy a new bass whilst the work was being carried and so this one is now surplus to requirements. It now sounds and feels so much better than it ever did when I had it! Never mind...you live and learn!

Anyway, I have attached some photos (including a few taken by Colin to show the work that has been carried out).

I'm based in Manchester if anyone wants to come over and have a try, or just let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for looking,

Pete

Edited by filey44

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1362138' date='Sep 4 2011, 08:10 PM']I can vouch for Pete as a thoroughly decent chap and a very fine player to boot.[/quote]

Thanks Jake!

I couldn't ask for a better appraisal. Don't believe him about the playing though! :)