Why become a member? ×

Ibanez RD-905 FM

Sergeant_Stagger

Hey,
Just bought a new 5 string (the Ibanez RoadGear 905) and wondered what anyone else thought of them.
I've been a four string player for quite some time and thought it was time to make the transition to 5 string, saw this bass on sale by a friend of mine for 200 quid and thought it was worth it.
The Seymour Duncan Basslines pups are nice and warm, and the body has a beautiful finish.
Was wondering if anyone else has had any problems or good reviews for this bass?
And I also beg the question - was it worth it?

[quote name='Sergeant_Stagger' post='156437' date='Mar 13 2008, 12:33 AM']Hey,
Just bought a new 5 string (the Ibanez RoadGear 905) and wondered what anyone else thought of them.
I've been a four string player for quite some time and thought it was time to make the transition to 5 string, saw this bass on sale by a friend of mine for 200 quid and thought it was worth it.
The Seymour Duncan Basslines pups are nice and warm, and the body has a beautiful finish.
Was wondering if anyone else has had any problems or good reviews for this bass?
And I also beg the question - was it worth it?[/quote]

I used to own the four string version. They're really well made, very versatile, and as usual with Ibanez, very good value for money. The 900 series has basslines pickups fitted as standard - the cheaper models came with Ibanez Pickups.

If yours is the ''FM'' version, it has a mahogony body with a flamed maple top. As you say, they're very nicely finished. The FM isn't made any more - I think the current 900 series only comes with a solid ash body, which I guess will have an effect on the tone.

£200 is a very good price if its in good nick. I think they were about £450 new when I bought mine. I reckon you've got a good deal there.

Edited by simon1964

Yes, they are very nice instruments. I have the 605, which is very similar (same electronics and basic spec) It's very well made and the pickups & switching make it very versatile. £200 is a very good price for an instrument of that quality. ( Ibanez dont hold value well, generally.)

Enjoy!