Why become a member? ×

WANTED - double bass suitable for beginner

Hi,

Being brand new to the world of double basses, I am looking for a good quality, entry level/student bass which would be suitable for gigging (playing jazz) once I get up to speed.

Preferably as low cost as possible without it sounding/looking/feeling like a cheap bass.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone in Glasgow or surrounding areas who is selling a double bass which might be suitable...

Thanks

[quote name='bass_dude' post='1344417' date='Aug 18 2011, 02:29 PM']Hi,

Being brand new to the world of double basses, I am looking for a good quality, entry level/student bass which would be suitable for gigging (playing jazz) once I get up to speed.

Preferably as low cost as possible without it sounding/looking/feeling like a cheap bass.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone in Glasgow or surrounding areas who is selling a double bass which might be suitable...

Thanks[/quote]

Just a thought - Try Mev Taylors in Edinburgh, they do a hire-maybe-buy-it-later scheme. £150 for 4months, 15% discount on the remaining balance if you choose to buy. Typically a stentor 1950, which you can try on the Glasgow violin shop cos they've got one in stock ATM. Or you could pop round and see mine, charing cross/kelvingrove, although I've since upgraded the strings. Cheers
Tim

Yeah I'm kind of thinking that if I can't get a second hand one then hiring one might be the way to go initially. It seems to be hard to find anyone with basses available to hire here in Scotland though.

Mev Taylor's have theirs out for the Edinburgh festival.

Will try Thwaites as they appear to do nationwide rental.

Thanks!

Richard

[quote name='bass_dude' post='1345161' date='Aug 19 2011, 10:07 AM']Mev Taylor's have theirs out for the Edinburgh festival.[/quote]

Bummer. There was a guy here who offered private hire arrangements and am about to ping you his email address in case he can help. Never used him in the end because I found the Mev Taylor deal before we got a conversation going but it seemed like it was quite a decent bass from the recommendation I got.

[quote name='baboom' post='1352375' date='Aug 26 2011, 01:27 PM']Bummer. There was a guy here who offered private hire arrangements and am about to ping you his email address in case he can help. Never used him in the end because I found the Mev Taylor deal before we got a conversation going but it seemed like it was quite a decent bass from the recommendation I got.[/quote]

Thanks for forwarding the email address Tim...an email has been sent.

At this rate Mev Taylor will have their bases back from the Edinburgh festival soon so I can maybe still check them out.

Richard