Why become a member? ×

Input on my Blackbird adaptation needed

CoverMeBadd

Hey, Im new to these forums. Im finishing up high school this year, and Im trying to get into a jazz band at a college Im interested in. This is one of the songs Im preparing for the audition. Its a variation of Jaco Pastorius's version, it starts out with his and then goes into an adaptation I used to make it longer. Im no pro, so I could use some help on my songs too. BTW, I use an Ibanez Iceman. This is from a school recital, so its no perfect recording. Theres two other songs I did there too, So What and Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Only other songs in my profile XD.

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=XbBkyOjpSI4"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=XbBkyOjpSI4[/url]

Some other songs Im planning to do for the recital are So What, Something, and maybe Day Tripper (working on this one right now)(I like like the Beatles XD). Any suggestions of songs around what you feel my level is would be great. I love classic rock too, so keep that in mind XD.

Thanks for any input you can give, I hope Ill be able to contribute here myself as well.

Hi, I like the Blackbird thing - very nice. At first I was missing the low A under the chords at the start but it works really well going into the groove. So What is quite nice, but the phrasing on the melody is slightly off. The melody should be all 8th notes, but you seem to be holding the top note for a whole beat . It may be you've learnt it from a version I've not heard, but I'd recommend the original Miles Davis version if yuo don't already have it :)

The Iceman sounds nice too.

Day Tripper's a nice one, Penny Lane is also good fun and gets you covering a lot of the neck.
Cheers
Alun