Why become a member? ×

Neck screws

untune

Hi all

All the parts have arrrived (aside from a few) for my project and I want to put it together desperately - the body/neck have been sat here since Wednesday and I was still waiting on a few fixings. I already had a neckplate but no screws, so I grabbed a set of 42mm from axesrus. The heads seem a bit too small to me, they don't seem sit in the countersink of the plate correctly and since i've never fitted any before I don't want to balls it up on the first attempt. Will I be ok using these or should I get different ones? I thought these may be for guitars but then I thought it was all standard?

Pics attached (sorry if they're a bit big)

[quote name='untune' post='1263981' date='Jun 10 2011, 02:47 PM']Hi all

All the parts have arrrived (aside from a few) for my project and I want to put it together desperately - the body/neck have been sat here since Wednesday and I was still waiting on a few fixings. I already had a neckplate but no screws, so I grabbed a set of 42mm from axesrus. The heads seem a bit too small to me, they don't seem sit in the countersink of the plate correctly and since i've never fitted any before I don't want to balls it up on the first attempt. Will I be ok using these or should I get different ones? I thought these may be for guitars but then I thought it was all standard?

Pics attached (sorry if they're a bit big)[/quote]

They're definitely a bit small - or the holes in the plate are a bit big...?

I have a set of screws I could send you to try. If they turn out to be too small, the plate is non-standard.

Hi bremen

I just quickly measured the plate - the holes themselves are about 6.5mm (6.35mm perhaps?) and the edges of the actual countersink measure about 10.5mm. The screwheads look to be a tiny bit short of 8mm.

If you have something bigger that'd be great, drop me a PM with details if you want

Cheers

[quote name='untune' post='1263998' date='Jun 10 2011, 03:02 PM']Hi bremen

I just quickly measured the plate - the holes themselves are about 6.5mm (6.35mm perhaps?) and the edges of the actual countersink measure about 10.5mm. The screwheads look to be a tiny bit short of 8mm.

If you have something bigger that'd be great, drop me a PM with details if you want

Cheers[/quote]

That sounds like the holes in the plate are big, rather than the screws being small.

I'll measure my plate and screws when I get home.

I just remembered I've got an old bass I've not touched for ages sat in a hardcase in the corner that also has a neckplate/bolt on design. Measured it up and it's the neckplate that's wrong as the screws appear to be identical... I'm currently pondering whether to destring/butcher it and keep that tucked away until I can replace it...

[quote name='untune' post='1264137' date='Jun 10 2011, 04:56 PM']I just remembered I've got an old bass I've not touched for ages sat in a hardcase in the corner that also has a neckplate/bolt on design. Measured it up and it's the neckplate that's wrong as the screws appear to be identical... I'm currently pondering whether to destring/butcher it and keep that tucked away until I can replace it...[/quote]

Do that. I'll be attempting some gonzo luthiering next week and I'll have a spare neckplate that you can have to put back on the 'donor' bass.