Why become a member? ×

PV IPR-1600 - optimal way to connect cabs

OzMike

I might be getting my hands on one of those fancy-pants lightweight IPR 1600s, and was pondering how best to connect the cabs I have.

amp specs - 2x 300W/8Ohm, 2x 530W/4Ohm, 2x 800W/2Ohm

cabs - Epifani NY-112, Aguilar GS-112, Aguilar GS-112NT (all 8 ohm)

With one cab, the connection is obvious; with two, I'd run each off a separate channel. But for three:
option 1. run from single channel -> 800W/3 -> ~267W/ speaker
option 2. run the GS cabs from one channel -> 530W/2 -> ~265W/speaker, and the Epi from the other -> 300W/speaker

In option 2 I guess I wind up the input attenuators to the same position on both sides as the output per speaker is then the same.

And it appears there no real-world difference between option 1 and 2 in terms of watts distribution, although I feel it's perhaps better to use both channels and not use a single channel at it's lowest supported impedance.

Does all of this sound reasonable? And I'm also curious if anyone here uses an IPR-1600 too. I've previously used a combo of Yamaha bass preamp + yamaha power amp, and it sounded damn good + was a very flexible setup.

Cheers

Mike!

I got one of these myself a few weeks ago, they are impossibly light and ludicrously loud. I use Zoom B9.1ut > PV IPR 1600 > BFB Midget-T. I also use it for the PA subs when I am on PA duties and go IEM.

Regarding your set-up, I would just run 1 speaker out of each channel. I guess you are best off with Aguilar GS-112 and Aguilar GS-112NT.

What pre-amp are you running btw? Just curious.

One reason I will be purchasing this amp is so I can run one, two or all three cabs; the third would be handy as a bass monitor for the drums, or for a little extra volume / headroom. I guess I need to do a little experimentation and see what works the best as regards connection when I get my hands on the amp. Currently I'm using a Shuttle 6.0 to run the two GB cabs, but am finding it's a little difficult to get a completely clean sound at max volume, and of course it's limited to running two 8 ohm cabs.

Preamp wise I've got a few choices - Zoom B2, Microbass II and a Behringer BDI. The MB II will probably get the nod because of it's flexibility.

Using lightweight cabs and amps is a wonderful experience, and when one doesn't own a car and needs to catch taxis to gigs (most of which are normal sedans), the "small and light" component approach really works well for me. Here in Estonia provided backline is alu-speaker Hartke most of the time, Ampeg 8x10 almost all of the rest of the time ... neither of which are sounds I particularly like. So having one's one backline, here especially, is a must.