Why become a member? ×

Musicmasters - Rubbish or not?

Stag

What's this shop in Beccles called? My girlfriend's parents live there so we tend to go there quite a bit... wonder if they'll still have it?

Im still in the market for one if anyone has one they want rid of.... did fall in love with this one but its already been sold (sob) :

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/index.cfm?method=site.product&product_id=2979"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/index...product_id=2979[/url]

Stag

[quote name='Stag' post='39254' date='Jul 30 2007, 09:45 PM']What's this shop in Beccles called? My girlfriend's parents live there so we tend to go there quite a bit... wonder if they'll still have it?

Im still in the market for one if anyone has one they want rid of.... did fall in love with this one but its already been sold (sob) :

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/index.cfm?method=site.product&product_id=2979"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/index...product_id=2979[/url]

Stag[/quote]

Hi Stag, I can help with the shop and a bit of further info, as I had a look at the bass myself off the back of this thread.

The shop I think is called something like A. Slane Guitars but, as 3V17C says, it's combined with a craft shop! Anyway, I think it was on Hungate Lane - certainly somewhere around there, and hard to miss since it's got a pub-style sign hanging outside.

The bass was still there last Saturday, priced at £220, and I had a good look and a play, so I can give you the following info:

- It had a '5....' serial number which I think dates it to around '75 / '76. Also had the 'butterfly' tuners and Jazz Bass style knobs, which suggest early to mid '70s too.

- It had indeed been stripped down to the (untreated) wood, although there seemed to be a tiny bit of red left in the neck pocket (I think they only came in red, white or blue at that period). It also had body and arm contours (like a Jazz or P Bass) which I assume must have been added later (as far as I'm aware the Musicmaster only ever came with a slab body). The contours looked like they'd been done well enough and felt comfortable (didn't scream DIY job), but I must admit it was this bit of customisation that put be off making the guy an offer.

- The neck looked straight, played nicely and the frets looked to be in good nick. The neck and headstock had also darkened really nicely, which did give a bass a real "vintage" feel.

- The guy in the shop said he'd had the scratch plate off and that although the plate itself was a replacement (it was black and the original would have been white), everything else looked original.

- As I said, it played nicely, and I really enjoyed the feel and the sound. I did find the E string pretty tricky to tune (by ear) and it didn't ring quite as nicely as the other three, but I put this down to the fact that the strings looked pretty ancient. Certainly needed a new set of strings and a quick set-up to get the best out of it.

I didn't buy it, although I was tempted to make the guy an offer, and I'd say it's certainly worth a look at that price. I did however enjoy playing it enough to go home and make a rash bid on Ebay, so I'm now waiting for delivery from the States of an excellent condition blue '72 Musicmaster!

Good luck with the search, and let us know what you think of this one in Beccles if you take a look...

Hmmm.... welll...

I went and tried it...

...and bought it! My GAS for an MM has been solved. It really is a very very easy thing to play. The neck is in pretty fine nick for such an old instrument, tuning doesnt appear to be a problem although as you said the E string is a bit "off" but nothing that cant be fixed with a new string and a proper set up. rather impressively the case that came with it had the original Fender neck tag with the bass testing dates on it, and the original owners manual! I've had a quick shufty on the Fender site and the serial number dates it to 1976.

As for the body again as said above its been sanded down BUT whoever did it did a fine job on it. I also wasnt aware of body or arm contours on the body of the guitar but the manual proudly states "Offset waist - easier to play when sitting (patented)" so perhaps it was supposed to be there? Either way, its in need of a respray and im canvassing a few people in the area to see what they would do it for. Got him down to £200 and to be honest on parts alone its worth that so im very happy with it! Tone pot is facked but thats a minor job. Even if it needs a new pot and just a bit of soldering that aint too hard.

Ill post a before / after pic soon, will get it refinned probably next month with a bit of luck.

Cheers all for your help!

Stag

:-)

Edited by Stag