Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT bass question

deaky

Hi all

I recently bought a VT bass pedal which Iam loving. I have a question tho.

I have been running the pedal through a Tecamp 1x12 puma combo with the EQ set flat. Is that generally the way to use the pedal or is it better to use the EQ settings on the combo aswell??

Also what are your favourite settings? I have been looking for a Geddy Lee type sound.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Stuart

Well it very much depends how you are wanting to use the pedal: as an occasional overdrive/amp sound or as constant preamp eq/ emulation.

For example, I use an MXR M-80 as an always on pre-amp, and set the EQ on my amp relatively flat, as I prefer the 3-band EQ on my MXR to that on my amp, and as I send a clean DI from the MXR (thus before my amp) to FOH, it's nice to have basically the same sound coming from behind me as well. You could use your VT in the same way; set the amp EQ relatively flat, perhaps adjust for any boomy lows, and get your desired sound from the pedal, leaving it "always on".

Others use the VT in the same way you would use an overdrive/distortion pedal: set you amp EQ with your clean sound just how you like it, and then set up the VT to compliment that sound for passages in your songs which need a little extra oomph. Doing it like that gives you the option of turning it off for a totally nice, clean sounding bass sound (and the extra omph when you need it at the stomp of a switch), instead of just being left with a totally flat sound were you to switch off your VT if you were using it as a preamp with the amp amp set flat.

Personally, as I have an MXR with its' DI always on taking care of my clean sound, I would use the VT as a gain pedal, running the amp pretty flat.

Edited by EskimoBassist