Why become a member? ×

Changing a preamp valve in a Little Bastard

DaBu

Hello all,

I need some advice and technical expertise. I'm going to change a preamp valve on my Ashdown Little Bastard. It Growls a little too much when cranked up! An ex Marshall amp builder has suggested a ECC81. My query is this, How do i take the board out to be able to get at changing the valve? First time doing this so a bit cautious!!

Cheers

Fairly sure no need to take the board out, you just need to get the top off, of the bottom out, depending on how it is made, you can see the valves poking out inside, once those are visible, they might be under aluminium covers, with bayonet fittings (like a light bulb, push down and twist), then you can pull them out and push the new one in, with some wiggling.

Cheers Mr Foxen.

I can see them through a vent on the top which removes. I probably can get my hand in, but thought i would be able to slide the whole board out to have a proper look. I just can't seem to find the screws that hold it in place and the case/outer shell is an all round wooen box with front and back cover.

Cheers again

Remove the 4 screws from the sides. Two each side. Then loosen the four screws that hold the handle to the top case and slide the whole amp away from the case. Simple.

Changing the ecc83 valves for ecc81 will give around 60% of the usual gain. This should stop the amp overdriving and clean the sound.

If you want to lower the gain to only 30% then use ecc82 valves.