Why become a member? ×

G string choking

mojobass

no its not a wierd kind of S&M fetish!!!!

ive got two warwick fortresses and bith of them suffer from choking G strings!

its mainly around the 5-7th frets, the frets are good both have wenge necks and new strings. Ive got he action down really low asits the way i like it and theres very little relief in the necks, the other strings are fine and the other fretted notes on the 'G' are fine also!

I dont really want to have to add any more relief to the neck as it'll highten the action around the middle of the neck, but anyone any ideas as to why its happening?

when i play each of the acoustically its unnoticeable and they play fine but when plugged in its bad!

There's two ways to check the neck relief.

Firstly, fret a note at the 1st and 13th fret. There should be a small gap there, do the same thing in other places on the neck, it should be similar up and down.

The other way is to detune your string by quite a bit (two steps should do it), then play up and down the neck on that string. You should be getting a lot of buzz up and down the neck, but it should be fairly consistent.

Check your neck relief first, cholking notes are more important than a mm or two on action.

Edited to add, acoustically it's probably not fine, just that it's not as obvious. Cholking the note is an acoustic property rather than an electrics one (unless you're getting confused with your terms) and IMO neck relief is one of the few things on a bass that should be set up to a standard instead of to opinion, action should be used if you have buzzy frets.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey