Why become a member? ×

Ashdown BTA400

Steve Spector

I bought one of these a little while ago after ditching an Aguilar DB751 and Ampeg SVT VR, so obviously I preferred the BTA. Thought I'd share a few observations here and on TB as there's very little info on them anywhere I can see.

It probably looks as good as any amp out there!
It's probably as heavy as any amp out there!

It runs a fair bit quiter than the Ampeg, but not as quiet as the Aguilar.

Operationally I think it's excellent. The dials are large and really smooth, the knobs are strong and precise. The VU meter is nice for setting your input level. Also nice to have a tuner permanently plugged in.

Tone-wise I'm still working on it (with my limited experience). By comparison the Ampeg had a clarity and punch to it that was very distinctive but probably not me. The Aggie I find clear and punchy but in just a bit of a sterile way. Hoping to get a Bergantino NV610 to see how that goes with it - very well I'd hope?

The Ampeg had a buzz that would just not go away and that just made me feel it was going to be unreliable (rightly or wrongly the thought was just there), the switches and overall feel was also a little cheap.

I felt the Aggie felt a bit cheap too - small rubber knobs and dials.

On the whole, I think it's been a good choice, though I do wonder if the DB751 would have been more sensible - it seemed like it would be very reliable and loud as heel, plus a fraction of the weight of the tube heads. ONly time will tell I suppose.

Hope this helps someone, or at least means that a result comes up when someone searches for info on the BTA heads!

Steve