Why become a member? ×

Skunk strip bowing out but neck straight?

chugster

I've been given an old ESP custom bass which plays fine but the skunk strip on the back of the neck is bowing out from the neck from about the 2nd to 6th fret. It isn't loose and is flush with the neck at both ends. Any idea what would cause this and if it can be fixed (economically)?

how bad is it? i used to notice my old fenders walnut (?) stripes contracting and expanding out of relation to the maple which is normal, and you'd just feel it sometimes and not at others. if it's ever so slight, but too much to bear, sand it down to 240 grit, oil it with danish oil and buff out with wire wool. if you mean it's really popping out, like a few mill or something, well. i wouldn't want that job. i guess some clever boy could replace the stripe if it's come unglued (can't imagine that happenin though) otherwise it's time to either get a new neck or bass. it could be a truss rod thing. you could scrape it back with a cabinet scraper too. pics speak more than words.

Edited by lettsguitars

• 2 weeks later...