Why become a member? ×

Aria Upright

steverickwood

Hello all;

being an upright 'owner', in that I use it way less than my electric basses I have a q regarding strings.
I own an electric by Aria which I got the best part of a decade ago, and I'm sure someone said strings were to be obtained from Aria for one reason or another - or this may just have been marketing...

Anyhow, I need some new strings, what would possibly be most useful for this electric, played mostly pizzicato, in styles of jazz, blues, drum'n'bass, hip-hop etc.

Thoughts would be useful - I've forgotton what model but its like a squashed double bass!!

Best
Steve r

Sounds like you've got the SWB02 or 3 - solid wood body in a miniature double bass shape? If it's a hollow body you've got a SWB04.

These basses work best with orchestral or synthetic strings. Steel core (eg, spirocores) are a bit too bright for solid body EUBs. I've used Helicore Hybrids & orchestrals and Innovation Honeys on my old SWB01 LITE. The Helicore Hybrids had good definition but the Honeys had a more double bass-like sound.

Others you could try are Obligatos, Velvet Blues or Thomastik Dominants. If you keep an eye on the 'for sale' forum, second hand sets come up pretty regularly. I might even have a set of Helicores knocking around if you're interested?

[quote name='TheRev' post='1112580' date='Feb 2 2011, 04:09 PM']Sounds like you've got the SWB02 or 3 - solid wood body in a miniature double bass shape? If it's a hollow body you've got a SWB04.

These basses work best with orchestral or synthetic strings. Steel core (eg, spirocores) are a bit too bright for solid body EUBs. I've used Helicore Hybrids & orchestrals and Innovation Honeys on my old SWB01 LITE. The Helicore Hybrids had good definition but the Honeys had a more double bass-like sound.

Others you could try are Obligatos, Velvet Blues or Thomastik Dominants. If you keep an eye on the 'for sale' forum, second hand sets come up pretty regularly. I might even have a set of Helicores knocking around if you're interested?[/quote]

Appreciate the info mate - what sort of price? Yeah got a hollow body; quite a cool bass really. Never liked the amount of dots on the steinbergers!!

The SWB04 is a lovely looking bass - it was a toss up between one of those and the Eminence when I upgraded from my SWB01

Hybrids - £50 posted? They were on my Aria for less than a year - then I bought the Eminence and ddin't play the Aria so much, so they're nicely played in and there's plenty of life left in them.

However, if you're feeling flush and have £120 to spend on a new set of strings, I would suggest a set of Velvet Blues

Dave