Why become a member? ×

H-Clamp

teej

My colleague has just acquired a Mike Messer Resonator, and we're looking at doing some real old stuff - a little hard delta, but mostly hokum/ragtime. The resonator will be mic'ed, and I'd like to mic the upright too, so I've been looking at options, gooseneck clip-ons etc.

Then I happened upon this H-Clamp, which would allow me to try various mics, and might have an application for recording too.

[url="http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/53-5742_EXPLORAUDIO-LIVEBASS-H-CLAMP-LIGHT-Black"]LiveBass H-Clamp[/url]

I'd be slapping, and I move around a bit.

Anyone had any experience of these? What mics did you use?

Cheers...

I've got a H clamp, and it seems to stand up pretty well. i've not had any mics fall off yet, and it doesn't wobble too much causing scratches etc. Ocassionally i find it slightly too shrot for some mics/positions, and it can be difficult to adjust wuickly, but once you get your head around the procedure (fairly simple, just practise) it can work wonders. I'm still undecided on mics yet, i've tried most things from SDC's to 57's/58's to kick mics lie the D112 etc. They all seem to work well with the right sweet spot, but obviously you ahve to watch out for feedback if you're playing loudly just through an amp.

If i'm palying big enough gigs i normally send the mic to the PA and then use a piezo into an amp for monitoring (i used to send both to PA and ask them not to put any mic in the monitor, hwoever too amny sound guys have seemed not to grasp this concept, so i just provide my own monitoring now and as k for no bass from them).

It's a great little tool and very useful for trying out different mics etc, however i often use a short mic stand to audition differnt positions for new mics to save time and unwanted kncoks and then fine tune with the H clamp.

Thanks Robin, great reply. I think I'll get one and try it with my Sennheiser e609 live and a Rode NT1A for recording, see how I get on. I like the idea of using a kick drum mic, and I could do with one in my equipment, and likewise the 57/58s.

Are you in Southampton? I'm just up the road in Winchester.

[quote name='teej' post='1112128' date='Feb 2 2011, 10:53 AM']Thanks Robin, great reply. I think I'll get one and try it with my Sennheiser e609 live and a Rode NT1A for recording, see how I get on. I like the idea of using a kick drum mic, and I could do with one in my equipment, and likewise the 57/58s.

Are you in Southampton? I'm just up the road in Winchester.[/quote]

I've got one too, its been really useful when it's been used. Great design too. Im using a DPA mic now so it's not getting much use, but i keep it for the odd recording etc.