Why become a member? ×

Finishing Costs

untune

Hey everyone. I've been doodling ideas for a build and think I've settled on something I like, but it would require me getting an unfinshed jazz body, filling the bridge pickup cavity and then having it finished. I could fill it myself but I don't really have an ideal environment for painting and finishing a body. I'm curious just how much it would set me back to have something finished. I've sent enquiries to local techs but not had any word back as of yet - does anybody know roughly what it would cost? All I'm after is a simple black finish, no bursts or anything fancy...

Any finishing work is f***ing extortionate,i paint anything from cars to bikes and the last few months have done old(worthless too)strat copies,without blowing my own horn they turned out immaculate,you make the best of what enviorment you have,even a cupboard does,just make sure its dust free and at a decent temprature,if your using a new blank give it a go m8 you will be surprised with the results,for starts you dont have much sanding taking old paint laquer of,get it smooth as you can,feel it as well as scrutenizing it before painting,in any refinishing work the saying"if a blind man can feel it,a blind man can see it"applies,i dont even sand between coats,i build the colour up then wet sand using 1200 grade wet n dry,the laquer gives the paint depth so apply it in thin coats til you get bored........plenty of them,then i use 1500 grit wet n dry(again wet)when FULLY dry,then automative cutting compound(forget T Cut its useless imo)if you spend the time on it you will get a finish better than many stock finished guitars ive seen,save a fortune plus yel be chuffed knowing you done it........sorry to rattle on about it lol but its somehing ive really got into recently,if you decide to go for it PM me and ill send you a couple of good e-books on axe painting :)