Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Nut

Decker

Hi,
Can anyone out there recommend a really good quality Jazz Bass nut.I have just gone and bought a Tusq nut and to my dismay everything about is wrong.The E to E spacing is nowhrere near the original bass.
The A and D are almost there, but not quite and the E to E are too far apart.
Ive have measured this nut against my 78 jazz and a 2010 bass. A lot closer to a Precision nut me thinks.
So at the moment I have a new bass nut for sale.

First of all when you buy a nut, never buy it pre-cut no, get one blank and then either you place it against the old one and start cutting the slots off yourself, or get a luthier to do it.

Fender sell a very good reconstitued bone nut, which behaves and performs exactly like a bone one, bear in mind a real bone nut cut and fitted by a pro can cost between £45 to £65 and I have known plenty of luthiers that recommend the Fender recon. one as being as good as [i]the real thing[/i]. But as I've said the most important thing is to buy it blank, glue it in first and then gently start cutting the slots to match the other one or follow the way your strings naturally fall from the tuning peg on to the new nut.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1093181' date='Jan 17 2011, 09:55 PM']First of all when you buy a nut, never buy it pre-cut no, get one blank and then either you place it against the old one and start cutting the slots off yourself, or get a luthier to do it.

Fender sell a very good reconstitued bone nut, which behaves and performs exactly like a bone one, bear in mind a real bone nut cut and fitted by a pro can cost between £45 to £65 and I have known plenty of luthiers that recommend the Fender recon. one as being as good as [i]the real thing[/i]. But as I've said the most important thing is to buy it blank, glue it in first and then gently start cutting the slots to match the other one or follow the way your strings naturally fall from the tuning peg on to the new nut.[/quote]Hi GW, have you ever fitted a blank nut before?

[quote name='steve-soar' post='1093554' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:07 AM']Hi GW, have you ever fitted a blank nut before?[/quote]
Yes I fitted one on my Strat took a bit of time to get it right, that's why I went for a pre slotted nut for my bass to cut down the fiddling.

[quote name='Decker' post='1093560' date='Jan 18 2011, 10:13 AM']Yes I fitted one on my Strat took a bit of time to get it right, that's why I went for a pre slotted nut for my bass to cut down the fiddling.[/quote]Hi Decker, I was asking GW-Grand Wazoo, if he had ever fitted a nut before. He said cut the slots to where the strings naturally fall from the tuning pegs.
This will not work.