Why become a member? ×

Squier Jaco Jazz - not anymore

Lo.

Bought a neck for a 51 pbass project and made the mistake of trying it out on my squier Jaco jazz while I wait to get a body blank - now I'm gonna have to buy another neck 'cos this thing is funky as James Brown's left foot. The fretless neck will be resting for a while. Different tone than my 73 Jazz with rw fretboard - highly recommended "mod" - will be swapping out the stock pickups on this soon as I have some homemade ones to check out. Will put up some clips on youtube when I get a chance.

[attachment=66377:14122010326.jpg]

[quote name='fatback' post='1058358' date='Dec 14 2010, 11:30 AM']Oh happy day :) Nice one.

Out of curiosity, where did you buy the neck?[/quote]

The neck is made by "Dr Parts" from Dangleberry music - £56, sanded & sealed (unfinished). It's not a true Fender shape (head is slightly stretched toward the nut).

Cheers.

[quote name='Lo.' post='1058517' date='Dec 14 2010, 01:41 PM']The neck is made by "Dr Parts" from Dangleberry music - £56, sanded & sealed (unfinished). It's not a true Fender shape (head is slightly stretched toward the nut).

Cheers.[/quote]

I thought it looked familiar. I got one of those necks as well. They're really good i think. Also I was pretty sure it was a satin finish?

Looks cool, thought about a fretted for my VMJ fretless, how did you find the extra nut width? was it just an un-screw...screw new neck in or did it take a bit of setting up, also what sort of price/quality tuners did you fit? I see you can get jazz type tuners on ebay for twenty quid or so.
cheers Nick

A few comments:

The finish is satin to look at but it's only a sealer coat as far as I can tell - easy to overspray though. This neck is for a 51 type bass I'm building so I'll be ambering it up. (is that a real word?)

The neck was just stuck in there with a small shim at the end - took me 10 minutes including getting in tune. I didn't do it but the neck pocket of the squier body needs a little bit extra depth and contouring to the right shape of whatever neck your using - this neck's end shoulders are a tighter radius than the body so theres a small gap - the bridge saddles on this are raised to compensate for the shallower neck pocket.

Nut width? Nah - I have big hands and don't even think about it. I love 'em all.

The tuners are Allparts fender vintage repro's - really nice but a pain in the ass to fit as the headstock has to be routed (not neatly, so easy to do!) to accept the protruding steel "strap ends" for the tuner to sit flush with the back of the neck.

Here's a quick disco-stu number on it:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYk5ZLvZdfo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYk5ZLvZdfo[/url]

Cheers