Why become a member? ×

Bass for beginner: Ibanez GSR200 or Squier Affinity P-Bass?

Skol303

Hi folks,

I'm keen to get your opinion on a good quality bass for a 'beginner' (well, I used to play bass over 10 years ago, so I class myself as an 'old newbie'!).

I want something for home audio use, so ideally with passive pickups. Musically, the styles I'll be playing on it are dub / drum 'n' bass, some ska and occasionally rock/metal, so quite varied I suppose. I used to like playing around with distortion and wah pedals back in the day (Cliff Burton style!); not sure if that helps paints a picture of what I'm looking for, but heh.

My budget is no more £200 tops (so yeah, I can't quite stretch to a Rickenbacker 4001!).

At present, I'm considering either the Ibanez GSR200 or Squier Affinity P-Bass. Both retail at around the £180 mark new, and both seem to score highly in online reviews.

Trouble is, I can't for the life of me decide on which one to buy!

If anyone has an advice or suggestions here, they'd be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of other makes/models that seem to fit what I'm looking for, then please make suggestions.

Many thanks in advance.

PS: cheers to whoever wrote the sticky thread on 'buying your first bass' (or whatever it's called) - very useful.