Why become a member? ×

Comparison: Trace SMX and SM ?

Count Bassie

Just by way of interest, I wonder what Trace users think about when comparing the SMX (GP12) and SM (GP7) heads? I have the SMX250, and am picking up by trade (for a cab, etc) a 250SM. It won't decide anything, I'm just curious as to differences others have found in tone, use, etc.

I have both an GP 7 SM 300 in the form of a 1x15 combo and the 300 SMX GP 12 head. Both are really nice and good enough to do a job. I do think however that the SMX offers a lot more, just in terms of features like the dual band compressor, effects send return and the valve drive. The valve drive is hardly that great and isn't really driven hard enough in my opinion, but it does add a little but of life to the sound and makes the tone sound less hi-fi and clean than the SM series, as you can get a little bit of grind when you drive it hard. It can do the clean hifi sound as well The 12 band graphic is also a lot more useful than the 7 band, and allows some decent scope for tailoring your sound.

The GP 7 SM series offers the basic Trace sound with few bells and whistles. I think that it is a really good solid state amp that has plenty of power, I've disconnected the internal speaker and driven the amp through different cabs, and it copes well with a 4 ohm load through a 4x10, 8x10 etc.

Both amps also have the 'preset 2' option, which I think was the company's attempt to do a 'mid-bump' preset than a mid-cut, and I think they both sound pretty bad. Both also seem to be built fairly well too and haven't caused me much bother.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='thodrik' post='1005457' date='Oct 29 2010, 10:55 AM']I have both an GP 7 SM 300 in the form of a 1x15 combo and the 300 SMX GP 12 head. Both are really nice and good enough to do a job. I do think however that the SMX offers a lot more, just in terms of features like the dual band compressor, effects send return and the valve drive. The valve drive is hardly that great and isn't really driven hard enough in my opinion, but it does add a little but of life to the sound and makes the tone sound less hi-fi and clean than the SM series, as you can get a little bit of grind when you drive it hard. It can do the clean hifi sound as well The 12 band graphic is also a lot more useful than the 7 band, and allows some decent scope for tailoring your sound.

The GP 7 SM series offers the basic Trace sound with few bells and whistles. I think that it is a really good solid state amp that has plenty of power, I've disconnected the internal speaker and driven the amp through different cabs, and it copes well with a 4 ohm load through a 4x10, 8x10 etc.

Both amps also have the 'preset 2' option, which I think was the company's attempt to do a 'mid-bump' preset than a mid-cut, and I think they both sound pretty bad. Both also seem to be built fairly well too and haven't caused me much bother.[/quote]

Never did respond- thanks for the reply! Lol!... I'm in an empty room by now. But I've kept my SMX, and it's interesting comparing with the Series-6 combo (715-S) and an older MK IV head, coming back from the shop in a week or so. I like the head, been very successful with several cabs, including the little Bag Ends, an 1153 and an older 1048.

Dig my Trace amps.

Always fun to post this kind of toy-store stuff!...

Gratuitous episode is past now. Thank you.