Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

songwriitng

thunderbird13

As mentioned earlier I’m beginning to get into song writing and although what I produce probably isn’t very good it is something which is surprising rewarding (for me anyway !). I am going to have a lot of really stupid questions over the next few months so bear with me ! My objective is produce a bunch of rough demos of completed songs so that I can get a band together to finalise them and then gig.

To begin with I’ve noticed that there are some books on song writing and I’ve also seen courses on it is it something that can be taught? I suppose like most people I come up with a riff and then play around with it until something else fits- is there a more methodical way of doing it?

Also I’m curious as to what instruments other people here use to compose with and do you think it has an outcome on the end result. I find if I write something on bass it is more “direct” whereas on guitar its more “ strummy “ ( that probably doesn’t make sense – and I don’t think strummy isn’t even a word :) ). I've also inherited a keyboard and wonder if its worthwhile investing time in that