Why become a member? ×

Writing for bass and guitar... on piano?

Bit-Crusherrr

Recently I started undergoing tuition for classical composition and have had the opportunity to sit in on some composition and harmony classes at the University that I graduated from last year. One thing they recommended for getting to grips with theory is to starting playing things on keyboard or piano, for aural as well as written skills.

What I'm starting to wonder is, is writing for other instruments on keyboard, even my primary one, a bad thing? I'm looking at Jazz for the sake of improving creativity and possibly improvisation (though I doubt I'll ever be a pro Jazz player), but for writing long passages that run up perfect 4th intervals in amongst different octaves for example, keyboard seems like a better utility. Now don't get me wrong, bass is my primary instrument, and I have a good technical grasp having played in a technical death metal band for a year recently, but when it comes to working out using triads, intervals, scales, etc. keyboard just seems the way to go, well, at least until I have fluently learnt every note on the fretboards position instead of just fret number and string (a difficult nut to crack after nearly 6 years of habit).

Is there anything I should be weary of or do other board members have an opinion?

Many Thanks

BC