Why become a member? ×

rock and a hard place with celestion speakers

mikebass78

I've just had a speaker die in a 15" trace combo for no discernable reason but I'm having trouble finding a replacement, I'm sure there are better speakers but i like having frequency response down to 42-odd-hz, more or less a true low E, which the celestions do. i'm stuck with a choice at the moment between putting in a 4ohm speaker and losing the option of using an extension cab or downgrading from a 300w to a 250w speaker (time is a big factor). I'm leaning towards the second option as i generally don't use more than 50% volume on stage, and i have access to a 4x12 cab if i need more, but i do play a punchy style with a lot of drive and I can't actually work out what went wrong with the last speaker, there's no sign of anything wrong except it don't work.
does using a lower powered speaker sound like a dumb idea?
I've also looked at eminence and legend speakers but keep getting turned off by the listed frequency response, can anyone recommend a roughly 300w 8ohm speaker that can match the celestion at the low low end??

Mate
I have a trace 1510x cab and upgraded my 15 to a 400w 8ohm (original was a 300w) BL celestion speaker about a year and a half ago.. did loads of research and upgraded all my 4x10 speakers while I was doing it. Dealt with the company posted (Lean) through the net who were awesome. Thought hard about going NEO but didn't have the funds but aparantly they are loads lighter. Reasonable money and they delivered for free, which when you consider the weight of 5 speakers was amazing. Give them a ring.

[quote name='zero9' post='977621' date='Oct 4 2010, 08:42 PM']You could contact / have a look at these guys:-

[url="http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/"]http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/[/url]

A Celestion 15" PA speaker might suit your needs.[/quote]

would running a 400w PA speaker cause any problems though, or just be inefficient?

[quote name='mikebass78' post='977614' date='Oct 4 2010, 03:35 PM']I've also looked at eminence and legend speakers but keep getting turned off by the listed frequency response, can anyone recommend a roughly 300w 8ohm speaker that can match the celestion at the low low end??[/quote]
Have you modeled the Celestion in question in the cab to see its actual response? Listed frequency response means little.