Why become a member? ×

Mixed strings (weedwackers with steel E)

JoshJ

I've just got a set of Slaphappy weedwackers (thanks again, bob pickard!) and replaced the steel strings that came on my cheapo bass. I've left the steel E string on for now, though, as I've heard the 'wacker E can sound really dead. The A isn't very impressive when I play it normally but for slapping it sounds perfect.

I am planning on trying out the E string soon anyway because it's a bit weird having an A string much thicker than my E, but for now it's pretty useful to keep the steel one as I have something to tune the stretchy plastic strings to every time they go flat.

What I'm wondering though, is since the steel E is at a higher tension than the other 3 strings, could this bend my neck out of shape if I leave it too long?

edit: Something I find quite interesting since I'm into physics, is when I play the 3rd fret on the weedwacker G, the steel E string vibrates like crazy. It's obviously hitting the resonance frequency of the E string. If you don't know what I mean (and most people probably do because I'm nowhere near as clever as I think I am) look up Barton's pendulum.

In the right song this might create quite a nice effect, but for me it's just annoying having to dampen the E with my thumb. Like I said I'm going to swap the E soon anyway so it won't be a problem for long.

Edited by JoshJ

It's not a stupid question. Very uneven tension is not ideal, and makes it hard to play too.
Try swapping the E for an A 'bumped' (down-tuned) to E. Surprisingly it works pretty well, though better the stretchier the strings are. A very stiff string sounds rubbish slackened that far, but stretchy strings don't.

To match tension with whackers and guts I play 'bumped' Innovation strings on the A and/or E. Brilliant match.

In fact I recommend you do this anyway. No whacker E sounds really good. Neither do plain gut E. And most whacker As are pretty poor too.

You'll want to start thinking about substitutes for the E at least: Velvet Garbo, Innovation Silver- or PsychoSlap, Pirastro Oliv (flat-wrapped gut), Presto... there are several options.

Steel is not a good match in most people's opinions..

[quote name='PaulKing' post='975066' date='Oct 2 2010, 03:22 PM']You'll want to start thinking about substitutes for the E at least: Velvet Garbo, Innovation Silver- or PsychoSlap, Pirastro Oliv (flat-wrapped gut), Presto... there are several options.

Steel is not a good match in most people's opinions..[/quote]
Thanks for the advice, I might try the steel A for now then, if the wacker really is no good.
Ideally, I want to try a set of Innovation Silvers or Psychoslaps. It's just a matter of waiting until I have £75 spare! I hadn't actually thought of only replacing the E string though, which obviously would be a lot cheaper.

I've just had a look, and if I only got a "bumped" Psychoslap A string, it would be thinner than the weedwacker A, so I'm thinking I'd want to get Psychoslap A and D strings for my E and A. Then the gauges would go .126, .115, .105, .095.
Does that sound sensible?