Why become a member? ×

mighty mite pups on fretless road accident.

daz

I have a fretless home made horror that i bought off ebay,(£27) on a whim just to see what a fretless bass was like. The thing i bought was so bad that im still non the wiser as to what its like to play a smoothneck. The neck is possibly off a Stagg (guess) the body is hacked together like a 12 year olds first bench job. Anywho thats all irrelivant. I want to know whats up with the MightyMite pups. The neck pup appears to work fine, as does the tone control, but no bridge pup. I put an ohm meter across the pup/pot connections and got these results:

Neck: turned full off. 0.0 ohms
Neck: turned full on. 5.7 ohms

Bridge: turned full off. 6 ohms
Bridge: turned full on. 15 ohms

I know i should have tried the pup wires away from the pots as well, but it started raining and my outdoor workshop had to be hurredly moved. I cant work inside the garage atm as its full of boot sale junk.

Can any kind and knowledgable person tell anything at all from these half results? (pics below)

Edited by daz

You would need to disconnect the pickups to measure the resistance across them. The two pickups should be around the same resistance and that would only confirm that the coils inside the pickups were intact.

That control cavity does look quite messy inside. I'd be inclined to completely rewire it. But I'd also like to know what's going on underneath the insulating tape there - the thick red wires just disappear in there and don't re-emerge. Are they soldered in there, or just twisted together and taped over ?

You probably want it to be wired like this -

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=passive_soapbar"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...passive_soapbar[/url]