Why become a member? ×

Bass Collection SB 301

Slipperydick

I have a SB 301 4 string passive that I bought around 1990/91

Just dug it out, aint used it for years, and been reminded why, it plays great, really great. but it sounds rubbish.

I'm not sure if its down to the light weight, ie. the wood, or the pickups. Anyone on here tried fitting decent pickups to one ? I'd rather keep it passive.

I can remember trying it wired similar to a Jazz bass- without the pan pot, but it didnt improve it. so if anyone has a wiring diagram for how it used to be that would help as well lol.

The 301 is a solid body colour yes? I don't know what wood those ones were, but the translucents like the 320 and 330 were apparently sen (there's quite a useful thread on the Bass Collection instruments on basschat somewhere) which looks a lot like ash but is very light. Reason I say this is because I have both a 320 and 330, the former has P/J and the latter soapbar but otherwise the hardware on each is identical. The 330 sounds a LOT richer to my ears than the 320, which I have to put down to the pickups. Long-term I will swap out the pickups on the 320 with wizards and see how it sounds then, but I suspect the biggest problem with the 301 is the pickups.

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='966759' date='Sep 24 2010, 02:47 PM']I have a SB 301 4 string passive that I bought around 1990/91

Just dug it out, aint used it for years, and been reminded why, it plays great, really great. but it sounds rubbish.

I'm not sure if its down to the light weight, ie. the wood, or the pickups. Anyone on here tried fitting decent pickups to one ? I'd rather keep it passive.

I can remember trying it wired similar to a Jazz bass- without the pan pot, but it didnt improve it. so if anyone has a wiring diagram for how it used to be that would help as well lol.[/quote]

Would a photo of the control cavity of a 301 help..? I'll dig mine out later and see what I can do...

Here we go, not great pics but all I could get before the camera went on the fritz... :)

- More here - [url="http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/kingofthestuntmen/Bass%20Collection%20SB-301/"]http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/kin...ction%20SB-301/[/url]

I can try to get some more in daylight (weather and eqpt permitting) in the next few days if these are no use.

*EDIT* Hmm, I think I see a problem..! Having played her for the first time in ages last nite after taking the pics, it appears that at least one of the pots isn't doing anything, and it's the one top right in the pic... Will query further

Edited by kingofthestuntmen

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='967912' date='Sep 25 2010, 07:30 PM']Here we go, not great pics but all I could get before the camera went on the fritz... <_<

- More here - [url="http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/kingofthestuntmen/Bass%20Collection%20SB-301/"]http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e334/kin...ction%20SB-301/[/url]

I can try to get some more in daylight (weather and eqpt permitting) in the next few days if these are no use.

*EDIT* Hmm, I think I see a problem..! Having played her for the first time in ages last nite after taking the pics, it appears that at least one of the pots isn't doing anything, and it's the one top right in the pic... Will query further[/quote]

Thanks for that,
Looks like one of the tone pots, is the wire broken off the capacitor ?