Why become a member? ×

Ashdown or Trace Elliot

vicar

Have the possibility of a 2nd hand combo. The guy has both a Trace Elliot Boxer 30 or an Ashdown 130 that he may be willing to sell. Only going to be used at home as a practice amp. Not even sure yet what to offer him as second hand price. They have been in storage and not used for a year or more so hoping to get a bargain.

Should I stick to the smaller cheaper TE Boxer 30 or would it be worth paying a bit extra for the Ashdown 130?
Any idea on what to offer price wise? They are both in a well used condition. Not pretty!

Thanks in advance.

Vicar

I'm really not sure which one to go for, saying as I've had a bit of both over the years!

I had an Electric Blue Ashdown amp which I thought was good at the time but it didn't seem to hot when I got a Trace Elliot head and 4x10" cab. That amp is still in my cupboard, on hold pending sale because I bought an Ashdown MK500 Mark King combo. Thats also an incredible amp and has really raised my estimation of Ashdown - it is as good as any combo I have ever played.

So in short, I can't really help! I've had good experiences with both!

• 2 weeks later...

I had an Ashdown Electric Blue combo. When i upgraded to a Marshall, it turned out it was a downgrade. Customer service was awful, marshall let me down bigtime.

I've always regretted selling my Ashdown, so i shall upgrade to them again soon!

I've always prefered Ashdown's stuff over Trace Elliot. I'd pay the extra for the Ashdown, but try both and see where you get!