Why become a member? ×

Squier Vintage Modified P bass

iconic

[quote name='iconic' post='965451' date='Sep 23 2010, 03:51 AM']I didn't know there was a Vintage Modified P bass...everyone seems to talk about the VM jazz (I have one!) any reason why, is the CVP that much better?

[/quote]

First - I hope we're talkin' apples and apples here. The only CV-P of which I am familiar is the CV-P with the single pickup.

If this is the bass of which you are speaking:::

.....................then let me continue with my tirade. Otherwise, just ignore my rambling and I'll get over it -------------- somehow. Crushed - but OK, really.

I kept hearing that the CVs were so-o-o much better and more quality-like - but I don't see it at all.

I TRIED to love one of those CV-Ps at my Guitar Center and it just didn't talk to me. Somehow it felt very odd and 'glossy' - but that's not really the right word.

The CVs are just much more plastic-y feeling to me and that turned me off - that and the tiny fret wires. They sound OK to my ears and I think they are worth the money - but I still bought the VM-Jazz when I was in that market that day to get a CV.

What I really disliked was the inability of me getting a clean note out of it - and the setup was [u]good[/u] - it just felt sloppy to finger.

Now - the VM-P is really a nice bass. I matched it to an MiA and an MiM Precision and it was so close that it was not even fair considering the price difference.

I have an old Squier Precision that has some 'work' done to it and although I find it to be the best (read: only) full-on P that I have - the VM-P was a notch or two higher [u]in it's stock form.[/u]

Head-dive is a real problem with it - but I can compensate for that for the sounds and tones it can generate; I'd surely suffer some for the sake of art if I had to!

If I was in the market for a new Precision - this VM-P would be the one!

[b][center]CV-P= NO
VM-P= YES! [i]Enthusiastically[/i], YES! [/center][/b]

thanks for that....I was refering to the dogs cock pink Classic Vibe 60's P bass, my fault although the 50's seem to get a good reviews too...

Interestingly what you found with the VM v CV is exactly what I found when I bought when choosing between the VMJ and CVJ...

both very good for the money....my friend whom has been playing for some 30 years, is amazed how the quality of cheap basses has come on.

[quote name='iconic' post='965451' date='Sep 23 2010, 11:51 AM']I didn't know there was a Vintage Modified P bass...everyone seems to talk about the VM jazz (I have one!) any reason why, is the CVP that much better?[/quote]

That VMP is brand new, only brought it out at the same time as the Jag, so that might be why you haven't seen it? Also same time as they brought out this VMJ

The VMP that came out at the same time as the natural VMJ that everyone loves was actually white, with a black pickguard and rosewood fretboard, and I seem to remember at least one member on here having one, but probably more. Original VMP-

Also, Circle Of Fifths, there's a CVP that is the current precision shape as opposed to the '54 shape.

Anyway, here's a link to all the Vintage Modified Series, it really is a cool series of basses!
[url="http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=basses&subcat=vintagemodifiedseries"]Vintage Modified Series[/url]