Why become a member? ×

ooomph.....how do i get it?!

chrisd24

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='868329' date='Jun 15 2010, 07:50 PM']Quick chime-in: If you set your input gain so that that little light doesn't come on, you can pump up your master- or output- gain pretty good. Next is setting the eq so that you get the most volume from the least turning of that master gain knob. It's been said, lo-mids are your ticket to the land of oomph.

Where's J.R.R. Tolkien when you really want him around?...

So, if you haven't been through this already:
Turn you master gain (volume) all the way down.
Play your bass like you mean it, and slowly turn up your input gain...
Whe the 'light' begins to blink, back off that input gain.
Now you can punch the master volume.

Oomph![/quote]

You Trace Elliot user!!!! he he he

[quote name='chrisd24' post='868348' date='Jun 15 2010, 08:05 PM']So i should throw it all away and replace with trace gear?! :) hehe

cheers for the setup tips count, not far from the way i set things up already but always good to know how to tweak.[/quote]

Nope all the used Trace Gear it all mine hehehe (cackles with hammer house horror laugh) ............ and the Count has bags on the Stateside stuff!

[quote name='dan670844' post='868372' date='Jun 15 2010, 03:27 PM']Nope all the used Trace Gear it all mine hehehe (cackles with hammer house horror laugh) ............ and the Count has bags on the Stateside stuff![/quote]

Over here we call it "bottom-feeding"... :)

Didn't mean to presume you don't have your amp set-up together Chris, just reviewing a little procedure. You know, for the rest of the guys... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='868425' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:01 PM']Over here we call it "bottom-feeding"... :rolleyes:

Didn't mean to presume you don't have your amp set-up together Chris, just reviewing a little procedure. You know, for the rest of the guys... :lol:[/quote]

No presumptions assumed Count.....although i am relatively clueless at setting up an amp, so all advice graciously received :)

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='868329' date='Jun 15 2010, 07:50 PM']Edit: Sorry, I'm always late with these posts!

Quick chime-in: If you set your input gain so that that little light doesn't come on, you can pump up your master- or output- gain pretty good. Next is setting the eq so that you get the most volume from the least turning of that master gain knob. It's been said, lo-mids are your ticket to the land of oomph.

Where's J.R.R. Tolkien when you really want him around?...

So, if you haven't been through this already:
Turn you master gain (volume) all the way down.
Play your bass like you mean it, and slowly turn up your input gain...
Whe the 'light' begins to blink, back off that input gain.
Now you can punch the master volume.

Oomph![/quote]

Didn't someone post earlier suggesting the exact opposite - i.e. recommending you should crank the master and use only a little pre? :)

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='868432' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:10 PM']Didn't someone post earlier suggesting the exact opposite - i.e. recommending you should crank the master and use only a little pre? :)[/quote]

Crank the pre as much as you can with no clipping with no master output (noise!) then bit of master, eq as you like, then readjust your pre amp gain so no clipping, then you can crank your master to playing vols as Bassie said. We have learnt the hard way with the very old trace units, in days of yore if you didn't get it right it got pretty expensive (blown tweeker fried wires you name it). No fizzy wizzy clipping, like modern amps, just bang :rolleyes:

[quote name='bassicinstinct' post='868432' date='Jun 15 2010, 04:10 PM']Didn't someone post earlier suggesting the exact opposite - i.e. recommending you should crank the master and use only a little pre? :)[/quote]

Dunno. I want to get as much signal into the amp as I can without overloading the circuit... and I think this can be a matter of taste and how the particular amp behaves/sounds. I think that I'd rather hear more of my bass and less of the amp, if that makes any sense- so I'll pump it in there and then [i]back off at the clipping indicator's prompt[/i]. I'm not tech-savvy, really, just functionally (mostly) literate.

But it seems to me that keeping the input gain (whatever it's called on your amp) out of the clipping zone means you'll run clean signal into your preamp section and have a nicely shaped sound to amplify at the power section. That's why you have that Overload/Clip/etc light there at the input of some amps.

You do want to know you're not slamming your speakers with too much power though, so you need to know what your speakers can handle and what your amp is putting into them. I guess I did assume that in the above post! But your ears will hopefully give it away before you have to finish your set on the other band's cab... if they'll lend it to you...

I really think this can be a subjective thing. Experts?... (I had to go rescue a cat from a tree so I've taken a long time to answer, and may have gotten passed by, making my post obsolete. I run into that 'obsolete' thing a lot... :rolleyes: )

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='868476' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:44 PM']Yep. The cat rescue belated my post... but there you go, thanks Dan! And yes I've fried a few cones. Lived it down finally.[/quote]

I have just been digging out toy cars from my cabs....... Kids and animals you just can't work with em....!!!

[quote name='dan670844' post='868481' date='Jun 15 2010, 04:47 PM']I have just been digging out toy cars from my cabs....... Kids and animals you just can't work with em....!!![/quote]

I just deleted a post. Distraction!! Yeah I had a day off yesterday and spent much of it doing the same thing. And I've got cat-hair (same cat) all over my carpeted Bag Ends and Trace MK IV head. Ah, domestic life... who'da thunk I'd be living it...

Off shopping with the kids. Peace! Good luck Chris, and show us what you bought man!

[quote name='Count Bassie' post='868488' date='Jun 15 2010, 09:52 PM']I just deleted a post. Distraction!! Yeah I had a day off yesterday and spent much of it doing the same thing. And I've got cat-hair (same cat) all over my carpeted Bag Ends and Trace MK IV head. Ah, domestic life... who'da thunk I'd be living it...

Off shopping with the kids. Peace! Good luck Chris, and show us what you bought man![/quote]

Cheers Count I'm probably gonna need it, will keep you updated.....and good luck with that cat!