Why become a member? ×

Glyph external hard drive?

99ster

Thinking of dropping the wedge on one them [url="http://www.glyphtech.com/products/gt050q/"]fancy nice Glyph external hard drives[/url]...
Can anyone share their experiences please? Especially cooling fan noise...
I've been using a G-Tech drive (very popular for video editing) - but the fan is just too noisy for pro-audio. So hoping that a Glyph will have a very quiet cooling fan...!
Thanks for your help.

TBH, the cooling fan should have no bearing at the mixing or mastering stage. I use my Glyph drive purely for storing and retrieving audio files (mainly because it promotes zero latency over an internal hard drive) and it offers no audible influence over the recorded outcome.

[quote name='tombboy' post='863826' date='Jun 10 2010, 11:02 PM']TBH, the cooling fan should have no bearing at the mixing or mastering stage. I use my Glyph drive purely for storing and retrieving audio files (mainly because it promotes zero latency over an internal hard drive) and it offers no audible influence over the recorded outcome.[/quote]

Errrrr....I think you've totally missed the point of my post!
:)
I'm talking about audible cooling fan noise in the room - not interference in the audio chain!
:rolleyes:

[quote name='99ster' post='863888' date='Jun 11 2010, 12:07 AM']Errrrr....I think you've totally missed the point of my post!
:)
I'm talking about audible cooling fan noise in the room - not interference in the audio chain!
:rolleyes:[/quote]
I think I did! LOL!!
My Glyph drive is in a seperate room to where we record, so it's never been an issue. Saying that.... it is quite noisy. Mind you, it's an old model (only 4gb) and obviously the technology as moved on since then. Have you posted the query on SOS or Gearslutz forums?

[quote name='tombboy' post='864201' date='Jun 11 2010, 11:57 AM']I think I did! LOL!!
My Glyph drive is in a seperate room to where we record, so it's never been an issue. Saying that.... it is quite noisy. Mind you, it's an old model (only 4gb) and obviously the technology as moved on since then. Have you posted the query on SOS or Gearslutz forums?[/quote]

That would be my ideal - to have all my audio drives/computers in another room! But it's not practical & I quite often do remote recording using a MacBook pro, so a good (& quiet) external drive is essential.

Yes - I've got some good replies from Gearslutz & lots off the DUC (or Avid forum I think it's called now?) as I'll be using it with ProTools.
General consensus seems to be that, despite their very high price, they are quite noisy - & that there are maybe better options for much less money...

I hadn't thought of SOS forum - good idea. Thanks.