Why become a member? ×

HELP GETTING DI METAL TONE

dead_scott

Hi, I have an Ibanez SR505, and i got this mp3 from the net. I would like to know how to get that kind of sound DI (no amp, no mics, no nothing, just bass). The guy that uploaded it said it was DI. Can anyone help me get that kind of sound? I also have ampeg SVX and i'm kinda getting it, but still too far. HELP!

Please, check out the attached mp3 and I'll wait for your comments! THNX!
LISTEN ALL THE TRACK, NOT JUST THE BEGINNING

BTW, check out my tracks :) on myspace

[url="http://www.myspace.com/twistedmx"]http://www.myspace.com/twistedmx[/url]

I'll ask him (through another forum, hehe). By spanking you mean not tight or the contrary?? Or maybe a special set of too bright strings?? I'm using 145 135 105 85 70 daddario normal nickel round wound strings for a F# B F# B E tuning. Haven't ordered a 170 set since i don't have enough money, so i'm trying to get that sound with what i've got. They used pro tools, but not a VST I think :) What do you say about scooping the mids out of the bass' eq and using high compression?

Right, with the strings I wouldn't use Daddarios personally, try DR or Elixirs for brightness! By spanking I mean loose which is down to lower tuning as you can hear a lot of fret buzz which in this instance works really well! Yes scooping out the mids is cutting them out, it's the sound that many on here call "bedroom sound" and it doesn't always works in live situation, however his sound is strikingly similar to that of Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse which in my opinion is the best sounding metal bassist out there! With compression I think he might have some but I'm no expert on compressors since I don't use them that much!

One thing I can suggest is also fiddling around with your pickups using your balance pot, try the neck on it's own first and very slowly add the bridge pickup, it might help getting this tone!

I really like this sound and I hope you can achieve it as well!

Cheers
Jack