Why become a member? ×

Fender '59 Bassman MIA, original '59 vintage spec

maxrossell

This is a truly special find:

Made in February of 1992, in the USA (unlike all of the modern reissues, which are made in Mexico), this is a Fender 4x10 1959 Bassman combo. It runs at 60w.

Here's the really special bit. The previous owner had his tech strip out the nasty modern PCB circuit and replace it with an original 1959 spec wiring kit by Doug Hoffman. So this amp, like the original models, is fully point-to-point handwired. It is also true all-valve technology, unlike the modern reissues which are solid-state rectified. It has 3 12AX7s, 2 NOS Harma 6L6s and a NOS National Electric 5u4gb rectifier valve.

It's a single-channel amp, but incredibly versatile. If you run it clean with a strat or similar you're into legendary warm, glassy Fender tone territory to rival the best Twins. But if you plug in a good Les Paul, jump the channels and crank the volume you're into the amazing full-blown bluesy overdrive, even classic rock crunch that made this amp so highly-prized with the first rock guitarists.This amp LOVES pedals, I've been running it with clean boosts and Tubescreamers and it's just perfect. It's also worth noting that these are the early 90s Fender speakers, which have a far more authentic sound than the cheap Jensens they currently use, and of course they've been "broken in" over almost two decades so they sound warm, full and present.

This is THE ORIGINAL rock guitar amp. It was made as a bass amp, but guitarists adopted it in the 50s because it sounded so great. There's a good reason people still cherish them to this day. I have to emphasise again, in terms of build and sound, this amp is in a whole different league from the newer '59 Bassman reissues. This even has the leather handle, not the crappy plastic one you get on the modern ones. The closest you'll get to it is to buy an original for many thousands. Bear in mind that even the inferior modern Mexican reissues go for over £1,000 new. When's the next time you'll get a shot at a handwired MIA '59 Fender Bassman?

Now the downside: It needs a power revalve as one of the 6L6s has started to pop (you can get away with just replacing that one, but for the best sound I recommend a matched pair, you can get balanced pairs of Harma 6L6s for less than £20). There is a bias pot in the circuit, so not a hard job. Please bear this in mind when bidding. The amp fully works, it still sounds INCREDIBLE, but there is a small intermittent popping noise that will only be cured by replacing one or both of the power valves. I would have this done myself but I don't have the time. Apart from some superficial cosmetic wear & tear, that's the only issue.

I am happy for you to arrange your own courier, and I will fully cooperate with you to schedule it, but it will be at the buyer's risk and I would ideally prefer pickup due to the value of the item. This amp also comes with a nice brown Fender amp cover (which is also a bit worn but still very serviceable).

£650 (Listed on Fleabay at £699.)