Why become a member? ×

Fender jazz v and Ernie Ball flatwound 130 B string

PedalB

Although I have a solution to this issue ,I am posting it to see if others have run into this problem ,and learn what they did about it. I recently added another jazz V to my
collection this time a mexican import model . I played it for a week or two with the standard round wound strings it comes issued with ,just to make sure it was ok and wasn't
going back to the dealer and then as I prefer flatwounds started to fit a set of Ernie Ball flatwounds .The issue I came across was that the hole in the bridge through which the
string has to pass is not large enough to take a 130 B string and the binding close to the eye . I got round the problem by reaming out the hole from about 4.2 mm to 4.9 mm
still a very tight fit but acceptable. I have to say I was suprised and a little disappointed to be making alterations to a brand new guitar . That said other than this issue this mexican import model seems in just about every other way the equal of my american model. :)